The COVID-19 pandemic has made the effect of nature on people’s mental and physical health increasingly clear: time in nature makes us healthier.
The New Haven Nature & Health Initiative is a collection of individuals from the New Haven community, health care system, local organizations, and Yale who believe in the power of nature in affecting the health of individuals and communities.
We focus on sharing knowledge to engage New Haven residents to improve their health through experiences in nature. This includes:
- Supporting health care workers in prescribing nature to their patients
- Creating and promoting programming and tools
- Sharing data on the measured benefits of nature and health initiatives within the community
A healthier and greener New Haven where all neighborhoods and residents have safe and equitable access to greenspaces and nature-based programming that is inclusive and welcoming – celebrating positive health, positive self-image, knowledge, culture, leadership, and stewardship at all ages.
We develop and promote programming and research that expands community and clinical engagement in healing, nature-based activities.
Working Group members are involved with initiatives at the Fair Haven Community Health Care, Yale New Haven Health, Park Rx America, Gather New Haven, Trust for Public Land, Urban Resources Initiative, New Haven Department of Parks, Recreation and Trees, Yale Child Study Center, Yale School of the Environment, Being Well at Yale, Yale Office of Sustainability, and the Campus Nature Rx Network.
In the News
Community groups to help you get outside
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of America (New Haven)
- Outdoor Afro (New Haven)
- Gather New Haven
- Latino Outdoors (Hartford)
- Girl Trek (Connecticut)
- Blue Star Families (NYC Chapter, online resources)
- Woods and Us (Rochester, NY)
- Park Rx America
- Association of Nature & Forest Therapy Guides & Programs
- National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs
- Children & Nature Network
- Outdoor Behavioral Healthcare Council
- National Outdoor Leadership School
- Natural Learning Initiative
- Association of Experiential Education (Northeast chapter)
Interested in joining this effort? Have a resource to share?
Contact us at email@example.com