Health & Well-being
Healthy Planet, Healthy People
From our campus buildings and landscape to transportation, food, and energy, our activities to improve the environment can also enhance the health and well-being of the Yale community, as well as those surrounding it.
- In 2015 Yale announced its tobacco-free public health campaign, which reflects the University’s commitment to reduce pollution and provide a healthier environment for all members of the campus community.
- Yale Hospitality emphasizes the importance of health and wellness through its food service offerings. Examples of the Yale Hospitality offerings include a plant-based protein program, salt reduction initiative, spa water program, emphasis on local food sourcing and catch of the day, and more.
- Yale’s custodial teams utilize a technology that uses electrolysis (a mixture of water, electricity and salt) to provide a powerful and disinfecting solution that avoids the use of chemicals entirely. In addition, they follow a set of Green Cleaning Standards that promote human health, and health of the environment.
- The Yale Climate Change and Health Initiative utilizes Yale’s multidisciplinary expertise and global reach to train future leaders, provide a comprehensive educational program, and catalyze innovative research, all to address one of the greatest public health challenges of the 21st century.
What You Can Do
- Get active! Utilize the Yale Shuttle or other public transportation, walk or bike around campus.
- Refer to our Healthy Meeting Guidelines when planning a meeting or event.
- Save energy. Reducing energy use improves air quality as well.
Our Objectives and Goals
A Healthy, Vibrant Campus
Encourage decision-making and behaviors that lead to a healthy, vibrant campus and surrounding community.
In Spring 2023, Yale shared a guide to outdoor spaces on campus to promote employee health and well-being, and to increase the use of Central and West campuses’ ample green spaces. Recognizing the importance of work-life balance and that community well-being is integral to sustainability, the guide promotes employees’ physical and mental health by providing wayfinding to the tranquil courtyards, gardens, terraces, lawns, and more at Yale.
Sustainability, Health, and Well-Being
By 2025, we will advance university-wide programs and policies to improve health and well-being outcomes.
Developed in 2019, the Collective Well-Being Survey has been actively promoted to the Yale community as a tool to measure a group’s well-being. We are working on ways to gather and institutionalize data collection to inform strategic planning across the university.
Resilient Food Systems
Promote resilient food systems through on-campus food service and community-wide efforts.
By 2020, establish campus-wide sustainable catering standards.
This goal was achieved in 2020, when a comprehensive matrix of sustainable catering criteria was developed, including considerations around diversity, menu development, health, labor, waste, and communication.