Health & Well-being
Healthy Planet, Healthy People
From our campus buildings and landscape to transportation, food, and energy, our activities to improve the environment can also enhance the health and well-being of the Yale community, as well as those surrounding it.
- In 2015 Yale announced its tobacco-free public health campaign, which reflects the University’s commitment to reduce pollution and provide a healthier environment for all members of the campus community.
- Yale Hospitality emphasizes the importance of health and wellness through its food service offerings. Examples of the Yale Hospitality offerings include a plant-based protein program, salt reduction initiative, spa water program, emphasis on local food sourcing and catch of the day, and more.
- Yale’s custodial teams utilize a technology that uses electrolysis (a mixture of water, electricity and salt) to provide a powerful and disinfecting solution that avoids the use of chemicals entirely. In addition, they follow a set of Green Cleaning Standards that promote human health, and health of the environment.
- The Yale Climate Change and Health Initiative utilizes Yale’s multidisciplinary expertise and global reach to train future leaders, provide a comprehensive educational program, and catalyze innovative research, all to address one of the greatest public health challenges of the 21st century.
What You Can Do
- Get active! Utilize the Yale Shuttle or other public transportation, walk or bike around campus.
- Refer to our Healthy Meeting Guidelines when planning a meeting or event.
- Save energy. Reducing energy use improves air quality as well.
Our Objectives and Goals
A Healthy, Vibrant Campus
Encourage decision-making and behaviors that lead to a healthy, vibrant campus and surrounding community.
A collaborative effort to explore the connection between nature and health is underway. Partners at the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Yale Health, Yale New Haven Hospital, Fair Haven Community Health Center, and the Yale Office of Sustainability are developing a pilot program to test the use of park prescriptions for patients and looking at additional ways to increase the use of green spaces on and off campus.
Sustainability, Health, and Well-Being
By 2020, align University efforts to increase awareness of health benefits of sustainability initiatives and improve health outcomes.
Health and well-being are integrated into many sustainability initiatives. Highlights include: specific goals in sustainability action plans; a new policy to eliminate chemicals of concern in university-purchased furniture; a Nature and Health Initiative focused on park prescriptions and campus green spaces; and a Declutter, Destress, Donate campaign highlighting mental health and community benefits of waste reduction.
Resilient Food Systems
Promote resilient food systems through on-campus food service and community-wide efforts.
Food Literacy and Resilience
By 2020, establish a fresh sustainable food action plan that that sets new standards for measuring the ecological and social impacts of on-campus food preparation and consumption.
In October 2019 Yale Hospitality will launch its sustainability action plan, which will chart a course toward enhancing awareness of the connections between planetary health and human health. This will be complemented by an international event that will highlight the health and ecological merits of Yale’s plant-forward menus.