Move out the sustainable way! Donate your unwanted items during Spring Salvage 2021, which will take place for all fourteen of Yale’s undergraduate residential colleges as well as Old Campus. Donation bins will be available from May 7-20 and May 24-25.
What is Spring Salvage?
Spring Salvage is Yale’s annual resource recovery program that aims to reduce material waste during undergraduate moveout. Students bring items to collection sites located throughout Yale’s residential colleges and Old Campus, and Spring Salvage staff transfer these items to designated Goodwill trailers. The program is coordinated by Yale Recycling and the Yale Office of Sustainability, and typically runs for about 4 weeks during May.
In 2018, Yale donated over 50,000 lbs. of items to Goodwill Industries of Southern New England through Spring Salvage. Play your part by donating reusable material and support our local community!
Learn more about opportunities for reuse and materials management at Yale.
Donation Dos and Don’ts
- electronics (broken or working)
- sporting equipment
Items to be placed near bins:
- futon frames
- other large items
- wet/soiled/mildewed fabrics
- egg-crate foam
- broken glass
- broken furniture
Location of Bins
- Grace Hopper: in the courtyard by Elm St entryway
- Ezra Stiles: by the tower or across from Entry D
- Saybrook: in the archway connecting our courtyards
- Jonathan Edwards: under the Gazebo
- Branford: under the archway by the York Street gate on Library Walk
- Morse: near Tower Parkway Gate along the Tower ramp.
- Davenport: near entryways D & G
- Benjamin Franklin: Prospect Walk Gate Archway – off the large sidewalk between Franklin and Murray
- Pauli Murray: the archway that’s between main courtyard and middle courtyard
- Pierson: In the archway near entryway F (Park Street gate)
- Timothy Dwight: 345 Temple Street Gate arch. On the right (under the TD map)
- Trumbull: under the archway at the main gate of Trumbull and under the arch at entry K
- Berkeley: Outside of entryway D and G
- Silliman: College St entrance archway and Grove St entrance archway
- Old Campus: Phelps Gate entrance