Move out the sustainable way! Donate your unwanted items during Spring Salvage, Yale’s move-out program supporting all fourteen of Yale’s undergraduate residential colleges as well as Old Campus.
What is Spring Salvage?
Spring Salvage is Yale’s annual resource recovery program that aims to reduce material waste during undergraduate moveout. Students bring items to collection sites located throughout Yale’s residential colleges and Old Campus, and Spring Salvage staff transfer these items to designated Goodwill trailers. The program is coordinated by Yale Recycling and the Yale Office of Sustainability, and typically runs for about 4 weeks during May.
Last year, Yale donated over 60,000 lbs. of items to Goodwill Industries of Southern New England through Spring Salvage. Play your part by donating reusable material and support our local community!
Learn more about opportunities for reuse and materials management at Yale.
Donation Dos and Don’ts
- electronics (broken or working)
- sporting equipment
Items to be placed near bins:
- futon frames
- other large items
- wet/heavily stained/soiled/mildewed fabrics
- egg-crate foam
- glass (broken or otherwise)
- broken furniture
- metal scraps
- open or expired food
Location of Bins
- Benjamin Franklin: Archway with Oikos and dragon etchings, Archway with door D
- Berkeley: Elm St and Wall St. archways
- Branford: Linonia Court, Brothers of Unity Courtyard, center archway near Calliope Courtyard
- Davenport: Along wall under overhang near dining hall, York St. entrance
- Ezra Stiles: West side of Tower E
- Grace Hopper: Elm St. archway
- Jonathan Edwards: Center of pavilion next to Weir Hall
- Morse: Payne Whitney gate, Entryway A, near entryway H
- Pauli Murray: Archway near D and theatre, Archway near H
- Pierson: Archway by dining hall
- Saybrook: Middle archway between courtyards
- Silliman: All entrance gates
- Timothy Dwight: Temple St. gate, Entryway E and I
- Trumbull: Elm St. archway near dining hall, Entryway K
- Old Campus: Bingham, Lanman-Wright Memorial Hall near recycling, Phelps Gate, Vanderbilt archway
- Rosenfeld Hall: indoor lobby