Poster explaining the health and environmental benefits of using a reusable water bottle over disposable plastic bottles.
Water is a critical resource. We constantly strive to improve campus infrastructure to use water as wisely as possible. Here are ways you can help make a difference:
- Almost half of Yale’s water usage is for heating and cooling campus. By helping the University conserve energy, you are also helping to save water.
- Look for dual flush toilets around campus. These are more water efficient than standard toilets. To use the fixture properly, lift the handle up for liquid waste or push it down for solid waste. Each liquid waste flush saves 0.5 gallons of water compared to the standard flush – a reduction of over 30%.
- Other water saving devices, such as low-flow shower heads and sink aerators, can also help conserve water.
- Stay hydrated! Tap water on campus is tested regularly for safety. Always choose tap water or filtered water instead of bottled water. Remember a reusable water container instead of a disposable cup whenever possible.
- Take a stroll through Yale’s many green spaces to see how stormwater is being managed to reduce runoff. Yale’s raingardens, bioswales, and urban meadows are all designed to help capture excess rainwater and filter it. This reduces urban flooding and pollution.
- Help keep Yale’s green infrastructure clean. Pollutants from cigarette butts and other litter collect in stormwater and end up in our waterways. Dispose of litter in appropriate receptacles, or don’t generate it to begin with.
- When managing green spaces at home, avoid chemical treatments whenever possible. Chemicals in lawns and garden beds end up in our waterways. Yale’s grounds staff use integrated pest management to keep chemical usage at a minimum.
Meeting our goals
Learn more about Yale’s efforts to conserve water and improve campus stewardship.
Poster promoting drinking water instead of soda.
A poster encouraging mindful water use when showering.
Encourage environmentally-friendly washer and dryer use with this poster.
A poster outlining the various negative environmental impacts of a plastic bottle, from manufacture to disposal.
A short informational video about Yale's central water cooling facility.
Yale University's plan for managing stormwater, updated for 2018.
Yale University's plan for water management, updated for 2017.
A short music video produced by the Sustainability Service Corps. Teaches students in university housing about how to save energy by cold-washing their laundry.