Welcome to Yale!
Yale is committed to being a global sustainability leader as an institution and learning environment. As you plan for your arrival to Yale, we encourage you to consider the following opportunities:
Consider how much you really need, and pack accordingly. Communicate with your suitemates about what they will bring and what you might share, such as televisions, game consuls, and furniture. Three things to bring:
- LED light bulbs for your desk lamp, which use less energy and will last until you graduate
- A drying rack, which saves energy and dryer costs
- A reusable water bottle, mug, bowl, and utensils, which are great for midnight snacks
From what you eat to what you discard, dining halls, dorm rooms, and classrooms are all places where your actions matter.
- Yale has single stream recycling, so no need to worry about sorting your recyclables. Just put them all into one bin.
- Use the cold water cycle when you wash your laundry to save energy and help your clothes last longer.
- Turn off your lights and power strips to save energy and extend the life of your electronics.
- File notes, readings, and papers electronically to maintain your documents in a searchable, sortable format that saves time and paper.
- No need to purchase or bring your own desk-side printer because all the residential colleges and Old Campus offer affordable double-sided printing options.