Welcome to Yale, Class of 2017!
Yale is committed to being a global sustainability leader as an institution and a learning environment. As you plan for your arrival at Yale we encourage you to consider the following opportunities:
- Communicate with your suite-mates about what they will bring and what you might share, such as televisions and game consuls and furniture. Three things to bring:
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs for your desk lamp, which use less energy and will last until you graduate; a drying rack, which saves energy and dryer costs; and
- a reusable mug, bowl, and utensils, which are great for midnight snacks.
- Consider purchasing items second-hand when you arrive on campus.
From what you eat to what you waste, dining halls, dorm rooms, and classrooms are all places where your actions matter.
- Yale has single stream recycling, so no need to worry about sorting your recyclables. Just put them all into one bin!
- Turn off your lights and power strips to save energy and extend the life of your electronics.
- File notes, readings and papers electronically to maintain your files in a searchable, sortable format that saves time and paper.
- All of the colleges and old campus offer affordable double-sided printing options, so there’s no need to purchase or bring your own desk-side printer with you.
Yale has just completed its first Sustainability Strategic Plan, and we are now excited to release the Sustainability Strategic Plan for 2013-2016, which takes a more comprehensive approach in addressing the complex and systemic nature of sustainability issues in the following areas:
- Energy & Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Natural & Built Environment
- Materials Management
- Food & Well-Being
- Sustainability Leadership & Capacity Building
During your time at Yale, your participation – through the measures outlined above and other daily choices – will be essential to helping us achieve the goals laid out in this three-year plan.