Did you know that emissions from employee air travel, waste, and purchasing contribute to nearly a quarter of the University’s carbon footprint?
Although we are working to reduce emissions from all sources, travel and events are a key part of strengthening Yale’s local and global reach, and some carbon impacts of these activities are inevitable. Carbon offsets may be purchased to balance the greenhouse gas emissions of our activities by decreasing emissions elsewhere through renewable energy, energy efficiency, or other projects.
The Yale Community Carbon Fund (YCCF) supports local carbon mitigation projects that go beyond Yale’s immediate campus. When money is donated, the Yale Community Carbon Fund staff invests it in ways that enable low income people or organizations in New Haven to become more energy efficient AND save money.
How it Works
- Calculate your personal or departmental travel emissions or emissions associated with an event.
- Select from the three donation options to help offset your emissions (see Partners below).
- Take steps to reduce your emissions and donate to the YCCF to help offset unavoidable emissions.
Donations can be made by secure debit or credit card through the Community Carbon Fund Calculator. After calculating your carbon emissions you will be connected to a secure website where you can make your donation to one of our three partners:
- Connecticut Children’s Healthy Homes Program: a non-Yale affiliated organization which helps low-income New Haven residents remediate health, safety, and energy efficiency issues in their homes
- Urban Resources Initiative (URI): a Yale affiliate which plants trees in the City of New Haven while offering green job training to Yale students, local high schoolers, and adults with a history of incarceration
- Nexus: a non-Yale affiliated organization which identifies and supports gold standard carbon emissions reduction projects.
If you prefer to donate through a Yale internal transfer of funds please make note of your calculated suggested donation and contact the Office of Sustainability at email@example.com. Departments making donations should use expense type 911200 Subsidies (DR) for transfers or when preparing budgets.