Ensure sustainable consumption and disposal patterns
Advance purchasing standards that promote sustainability and resilience.
- By 2019, define, refine, and systematize progressive language for requests for proposals and vendor contracts.
- By 2020, establish and promote sustainable packaging standards.
Material Flow Systems
Promote material flow systems that employ use and disposal patterns to inform purchasing decisions.
- By January 2022, create, pilot, and assess a “pay as you throw” system.
- By 2020, identify the most impactful commodity groups that contribute to Yale’s waste stream, through material flow analyses.
Purchasing and Disposal Decision-Making
Cultivate sustainable purchasing and disposal decisions.
- By 2020, create and launch an engagement strategy to empower Yale students, staff, and faculty to make responsible materials management choices, including communications about purchasing volume for key commodities; reuse; and diversion of materials from the waste stream.
- By 2021, create a suite of coordinated solutions for exploring inflow and outflow of high-volume materials, by identifying opportunities for reuse within the Yale community, New Haven community, and the region.