There are many opportunities to reduce energy consumption on campus. Help us reach our energy goals by taking the following simple steps.
- Turn off lights when leaving a room.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs, which consume 75% less energy than incandescent bulbs.
- Set your computer to go to sleep when not in use. Shut it down when you finish your workday.
- Unplug “vampire” devices. Laptop chargers, speakers, TVs, microwaves, and other cables draw energy even when you’re not using them.
- Familiarize yourself with the heater in your room or office, and report any heating issues to Facilities Superintendent or Building Manager.
- Track energy use at Yale using Facilities’ Energy Usage Explorer.
- Encourage your landlord to install a programmable thermostat, weatherize your home, or schedule a home energy inspection.