The Yale Office of Sustainability is currently seeking applicants for the following staff position:
The Yale Office of Sustainability is currently seeking applicants for the following student positions:
Sustainability Metrics & Program Manager
Position General Purpose/Overview of Responsibilities:
The Sustainability Metrics & Program Manager is responsible for advancing the goals and objectives of the Office of Sustainability. The mission of the Yale Office of Sustainability is to advance sustainability within the Yale community by acting as a catalyst for information exchange and facilitating capacity building, innovation, streamlined operations, and preparation of tomorrow’s sustainability leaders. The Sustainability Metrics & Program Manager will implement specific initiatives aimed at measuring and enhancing the sustainability of Yale’s operations, support and develop tailored sustainability programming on campus, and represent Yale as a national and international leader in higher education sustainability.
- Oversee and manage the process for collecting and presenting a comprehensive set of campus sustainability metrics. Collect and analyze data and assess trends in areas such as energy, procurement, water consumption, waste and recycling, food procurement, greenhouse gas emissions, and travel and transportation. Develop quarterly reports for various departments across campus. Create materials to promote broader awareness of progress on sustainability at Yale and how members of the Yale community can support sustainability. Act as the primary liaison for Yale’s participation in external reporting systems.
- In support of the Yale Sustainability Strategic Plan, act as primary liaison to designated areas. Manage the collection of progress reporting from various groups throughout campus on the tactics and strategies outlined in the Sustainability Strategic Plan’s “Action Plan” deliverables. Collect regular updates from department liaisons, and as needed support implementation. Facilitate regular strategy alignment discussions. Draft and oversee the design of Yale’s annual Sustainability Progress Report which communicates the University’s sustainability trends, successes, and challenges.
- Shape and oversee Yale’s Climate Change Action initiatives and its voluntary reporting of greenhouse gas emissions to the Climate Registry. Draft and oversee the design of Yale’s annual Greenhouse Gas Reduction Strategy. This includes working closely with Yale Facilities to analyze the University’s annual greenhouse gas emissions, developing effective graphics, and writing content.
- Develop and manage the implementation of select unit-level Sustainability Action Plans. This includes working with unit stakeholders to identify how sustainability connects with their specific discipline and physical environment and translate that into an action plan that responds to the university’s priorities as expressed in the Yale Sustainability Strategic Plan. Work with unit stakeholders on outreach, follow up on particular initiatives, and strategizing continued development of unit-level Action Plans.
- Set the overall direction and strategy for university wide sustainability committees on as needed basis. This includes working closely with faculty, staff, and students. Lead the process for developing and writing university-wide management standards or guidelines.
- Support campus applied research/active learning projects related to designated campus topics (e.g. land, water, energy, etc.). As needed, liaise with faculty, students, and staff to support applied sustainability research and teaching on campus and in New Haven.
- Contribute to the design and development of innovative content for Office of Sustainability website, PowerPoint presentations, and other outreach materials that support the implementation of the Sustainability Strategic Plan.
- As needed, hire and supervise research assistants for various sustainability projects and outputs. This includes all aspects of assigning and overseeing their work, schedule, and performance.
- As needed, represent Yale University locally, regionally, nationally, and possibly internationally at select conferences and events.
- As needed, interact with faculty and students to support academic research and teaching, providing information regarding campus sustainability efforts and promoting the mission of the Office of Sustainability. Provide similar support to staff and others.
Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in related field and two years of professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills & Abilities
- Proven knowledge and expertise in sustainability related topics.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong analytic and strategic planning skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to understand and synthesize diverse research and outreach initiatives into a cogent whole.
- Experience with developing visually compelling reports and presentations.
- Ability to build coalitions with diverse populations.
- Significant working knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications, including Word, PowerPoint, and advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Proven ability to problem-solve.
Applications must be submitted through Yale University’s STARS Online Hiring and Recruit System, Requisition 29967BR.
The School of Engineering & Applied Science seeks to hire a student assistant to support the development and execution of a Sustainability Action Plan. This Plan, which will support the Yale Sustainability Strategic Plan 2013-2016, will both highlight Yale’s institutional sustainability priorities and contain a set of sustainability priorities and projects that reflect the culture of School of Engineering & Applied Science. Reporting to Isabella Quagliato at the Dean’s Office and consulting with the Yale Office of Sustainability, the student assistant would work between 5 and 7 hours per week throughout the academic year. Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Consult with the Yale Office of Sustainability and collaborate with the School of Engineering & Applied Science staff and students to develop a Sustainability Action Plan
- Liaise with students from other professional schools and departments around campus
- Launch and support programs and outreach throughout the year based on the School of Engineering & Applied Science Action Plan and on the campaigns from the Yale Office of Sustainability
- Create mechanisms to collect data and measure success
- Establish a student interest group to support on-going student-oriented projects
- Represent the student body on the School of Engineering & Applied Science green team
- Help to develop systems to identify opportunities for academic integration
- Proficiency in writing
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Background and/or interest in Environmental Studies, and Sustainability preferred
This is a Level 5 position for the full academic year. Interested applicants should send a CV and brief cover letter to Isabella Quagliato at firstname.lastname@example.org (Student Employment Ref#17012).